Occupational Health & Safety Manager
Our goal is to make the Manufacturing industry a safer place to work and create a culture of safety wherein every worker safely returns home to his/her family each night. The Manufacturing Safety Alliance of BC (“the Alliance”) was established to reduce injuries in the industry. We serve a demographic of approximately 3000 manufacturers in BC and employ a professional team of health & safety specialists to support our members. We deliver a range of occupational health & safety advisory services, resources, training, and provide the Occupational Safety Standard Program for the Manufacturing industry. We are a not-for-profit industry organization passionate about what we do and how we impact people every day. The individual we seek for filling this role needs to share this same passion to achieve success. Our targets are unique but the results impact many.
The Manager of OHS oversees the day-to-day activities of the Alliance Occupational Health & Safety Services and Resources Department and reports to the Chief Operating Officer. This position oversees 3 areas within the Safety Services department. These include a team of Safety Advisors who support our members by providing OHS assistance using a systematic approach to building an OHS program to a standard of excellence, the Safety Advisor Specialists who are experts in specific risk areas and provide contract services to members on specialized areas of risk and OHS resource and training experts who develop resources, tools and training both onsite and online to members. The ability to successfully engage clients at all levels within organizations to embrace occupational health and safety as a core value, collaborate internally among and within departments, develop and employ strategic tactics to achieve organizational mission and possess the education and demonstrated competence of OHS or a related discipline are the necessary qualifications to perform this role. Knowledge and application of leading OHS systems around the world will be a strong asset for the successful candidate.
He/she will have proven success in managing people, collaborating among departments, planning, project management and budget development and management. The departmental functions include developing strategy to maximize the engagements of members with the available resources towards building of an OHS system to the BC Manufacturing Safety System standard, supporting quality assurance processes to ensure consistent delivery of service to the highest standards, applying problem solving techniques to various challenges, providing support to key account and complex organizations and acting as one of the
key presenters and spokespersons for the organization. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential for this position.
The applicant must have strategic skills and demonstrate proven performance in growing and managing a team of professionals in supporting the growth of the department. Effective collaboration skills working within and among departments is a critical skill set to be effective in growing a professional team. This person must demonstrate a proven track record of excellence in leadership skills and empowering competent staff. Knowledge and application of building effective OHS management systems that incorporate safety culture are important components of this position. The successful candidate will have extensive senior management experience that enable them to lead, direct, and manage a diverse inter-disciplinary team of professionals. Expertise in the areas of strategic planning, including the design and implementation of accountability frameworks, human resource management and financial management, is essential. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required as you will develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
We are committed to workplace diversity. The successful candidate must be willing to develop sound knowledge of the culture and technical aspects of Workplace health and safety. The Occupational Health & Safety Manager is responsible to provide value to our members without compromise, delivering the highest level of service by assisting our members to develop and implement Health & Safety Management Systems that meet and exceed Occupational Health & Safety standards and seek to attain the OSSE standard of Excellence.
The Occupational Health & Safety Manager works with members that have complex challenges, and provides effective oversight and support to Safety and Specialist Safety Advisors, resource and training expert and online learning specialist in order to develop programs, training and resources to progress members towards achieving the OSSE standard of excellence.
This job is best suited for professionals who are passionate about developing people and are committed to reducing injury rates in the province by helping manufacturers strengthen their health and safety culture. Travel is required to support the growing Safety Advisors providing service to the Alliance members in BC.
Key activities and responsibilities
- Lead the building of effective Occupational Advisory Services, resource and training teams that deliver top quality OHS services, resource and training to Alliance members at a standard of excellence
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure the consistent delivery of high standards of service delivery and support in the execution of cross departmental targets to meet the organizational goals
- Oversee focused strategies that include research and collaborative engagements with members to develop tools and products to support the industry in reducing injuries in specific areas of focus. Facilitate training sessions when required
- Establish strategic goals by gathering pertinent business, financial, service, and operations information; identifying and evaluating trends and options; choosing a course of action; defining objectives; evaluating outcomes
- Represent and participate on Provincial and National OHS Committees, and with senior WorkSafe BC officials for the benefit of supporting Alliance interests
- Accomplish staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; developing, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards
- Provide oversight and strategy to the collection of statistical data related to OHS service delivery and contribute to the rationale for trends and means to enhance efficiencies and continual improvement
- Working with the COO, support annual budgeting and (business and strategic) planning process
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies. Maintain/work towards professional body certifications
Education and skills
- Post-secondary Degree in Business Management – required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related discipline - preferred
- Excellent people management skills. Proven ability of managing a large team (more than 8 staff)
- Competent communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written skills with corporate writing experience
- Demonstrated competence and experience in overseeing the development of resource materials, training programs and delivery
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access, Visio)
- Proficiency with CRM systems, business process mapping
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
- Ability to solve complex problems, engage alternate viewpoints and make effective decisions
An attractive competitive salary and benefits package will be provided to the candidate that retains the qualifications and experience to manage a passionate team of OHS professionals who possess the education, experience and passion to achieve the mission of reducing injuries in the manufacturing sector of BC. If you are driven by the mindset of making the impossible…possible, and aspire to belong to a dynamic, values-driven organization, kindly forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org